- Remove all sheets, pillowcases, blankets, and stuffed animals from each affected family members beds. If your child has stuffed animals in the room but are not kept in the bed you do not need to worry about those.
- Once all the bedding is removed you can vacuum the mattresses and the throw the pillows in the dryer.
- Wash and dry bedding tems on a normal setting. The sanitary setting is not required.
- If you have any stuffed animals that cannot handle the wash cycle you can simply put them in the dryer on high for 20-30 minutes or place in a bag for at least 24 hours.
- If you have a large comforter or blanket that you cannot put in the washer you may put them in a dryer on high for 20-30 minutes or place them in a plastic bag for at least 24 hours.
Clothing and Towels:
- All used clothing and towels need to be washed. Anything that is clean in a closet or dresser does not need to be washed.
- All items can be washed with hot water and dried on a regular setting. There is no need to use the sanitary settings.
- Any items you do not want to wash you can put in the dryer on high for 20-30 minutes.
Hats, Helmets, Jackets, and Backpacks:
- Any hats that have been used in the last 24 hours can be put in the dryer on high for 20-30 minutes. You do not need to treat any hats that have not been worn recently.
- You may vacuum any helmets that have been used in the last 24 hours. You may also use the Louses Last Breath Spray to treat the inside of them.
- Any Jackets that have been worn within the last 24 hours need to be washed and/or dryed.
- You may wash and/or dry the children’s backpacks and also spray them with the Kleen Free Enzyme Spray for the home.
- We can vacuum all of the floors to pick up any loose hairs from the floor.
- Remove all throw pillows and place them in a bag for at least 24 hours.
- Remove any blankets and wash and dry them on a normal setting.
- Vacuum the surfaces of all the living and family room furniture couches, chairs, ect.
- You may also spray the area with our Kleen Free Enzyme Spray
Vehicles and child seats:
- Vacuum all vehicle seats and child seats. You may wash the covers of the child seats if you want to but vacuuming is sufficient
- You may also spray them with our Kleen Free Enzyme Spray
Brushes, combs, and hair accessories:
- Collect all brushes and combs to be treated before you use them again. Remove all hair from each brush and comb before you treat them. Place them all in a shallow casserole dish and cover them with boiled water for 10-15 minutes.
- Hair Accessories can be placed in a Ziploc bag and placed in the freezer overnight.
- Notify others to have their heads checked. You can typically narrow down the source of infestation to your children’s three closest friends. If you do not want to get it back these families need to be aware that there could be a potential problem.
- Use the Stay Away Spray when your child will be in high risk situations. If there is an outbreak in the classroom, a sleepover or party, overnight camps, family vacations for example. The Stay Away Repellent Spray when used regularly can greatly reduce the chances of them picking up lice again. Spray it liberally on your child’s heads, jackets, backpacks, and sleepover items.
- Keep long hair up on top of the head whenever possible. You can greatly reduce your child’s chances of re-infestion when we eliminate the bridge created by long dangling hair.
- Do not share combs and brushes. Each family member should have their own brush or comb for their personal use and they should not be kept in the same drawer or basket.
- Keep back up brushes on hand just in case someone loses theirs. Keep an extra in a child’s backpack or locker so they are not tempted to share.
- If your child has a sleepover you should have them bring their own blankets and pillows. Urge your child to not share beds, blankets, or pillows with other children. If you have a child come to your house for a sleepover have them also bring their own bedding and keep the children out of the same beds while sleeping over.
- Perform regular manual head checks. Visual inspections are not effective at catching head lice early. Use a Nit Free Terminator comb to check their heads. Get the hair wet and detangle if needed with their regular brush or comb. You may apply conditioner to help get the comb through to the ends of the hair. Wipe the comb off on a white paper towel and look for any bugs or eggs. If you see something suspicious and you are not sure if it is a sign of lice you may take a picture and email it to us for verification at email@example.com